Guidelines for a Pleasant Visit
A clever person once thought of an all-encompassing rule for visits to any public place: “TAKE ONLY PICTURES AND LEAVE ONLY YOUR FOOTPRINTS.” For those desiring more specific guidelines, we ask that the following rules be respected so that others may have an enjoyable and educational visit.
- WALK ONLY ON TRAILS. All other areas (except in the picnic area) are nature preserves or areas where experiments might be in progress. Please do not walk down the intermittent creek channels; climb on rocks or trees, or swim in the lake.
- TRAILS ARE ONLY FOR WALKING. Please do not run or ride bicycles. Excessive noise is distressing to visitors who are bird watching.
- CHILDREN SHOULD WALK WITH ADULTS. Students below college age are ordinarily not permitted on the trails without adult supervision. Children should always walk beside adults because youngsters cannot be controlled properly when ahead of or behind parents.
- WEAPONS AND ATHLETIC SPORTS AND GAMES ARE PROHIBITED. Prohibited weapons include guns, B-B guns, bows and arrows, knives, slingshots.
- NOTHING SHOULD BE REMOVED OR DISTURBED WITHOUT PERMISSION. This includes seeds, fruits, pods, flowers, pine cones, sticks, rocks, feathers, nests, insects, lizards, or any other items. Do not deface living trees in any way.
- PETS ARE PERMITTED IF THEY ARE KEPT LEASHED on leashes under 6 feet long. No pets allowed in buildings, Ramadas, Ayer Lake, or streams. Be prepared to clean up after pets.
Last Updated: 3/5/03